• Maeve Binchy, Quentins

  • Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

  • Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess
Book Review - The Lady and the Unicorn

The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

After reading Girl with a Pearl Earring by the same author, I was excited to read another book by Chevalier. It was a very quick read - I read it in about a week. Each chapter in the book is from a different character's point of view, which worked extremely well in telling the story and developing the characters.

This novel is again based on a real piece of Art - this time a 15th century set of tapestries detatiling a lady and a unicorn, that currently hang in the Museum of the Middle Ages in Paris. It is known, that the tapestries were probably created for Jean Le Viste, a Paris nobleman and probably weaved in Brussels. From the few fact known about these, Chevalier re-creates 15th century Europe with vivid descriptions, and the story is captivating - leaving me at the end of the novel, wanting more.

This confirmed for me my love of Chevaliers writing, and I look forward to a summer reading her other 2 novels!

Comments

post a comment