• Maeve Binchy, Quentins

  • Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

  • Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess
Review: The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Tuesday marked the release of this wonderful family film on DVD. As an English person, I grew up with the tales from C.S. Lewis, and the BBC version of this book, so I was very excited to see it and for my 6 year old to enjoy the same story I had for years. I loved it. I thought it was everything a family film should be. The casting of the four Pevensie children was excellent. Superb in the case of Lucy, and the rest of the cast did a wonderful job. It was visually beautiful, the battle scene great and effects that brought Aslan to life in a way that couldn't have been done 5 years ago.

I don't have the DVD yet, but on the 2 disc special edition, there is also over 10 hours of extras, including behind the scene featurettes and a documentary on C.S. Lewis. This edition is fairly pricy though, so if opting for the single disc edition you can still enjoy a commentary by the director and four children who play the Pevensies and the option of having 'pop ups' on the screen with facts about the story, actors and the film.

For me this was the best family film of last year, and for anyone with kids (or not!!) a must for the DVD collection.

You can buy it here for the US and here for the UK

Comments

Blogger Julia said ... (8:53 PM) 

As I read your post I remembered that I saw a post for the following. It's for $12.86 and the extra discount will be taken upon checkout.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?siteID=g5nzFY_iIAo-L2e.vA1e.KNr7nt7MRVs5g&cid=93172

 

post a comment