• Maeve Binchy, Quentins

  • Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

  • Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess
How Little Things Become a Joy

Although I don't have any recipe's to report, I hope this post isn't too off the course. I have been reading lately and I am so happy to learn little details from the books that seem to push me to decide to be happy. As a stay at home mother, with a husband in graduate school, money is hard to come by and can often become my main goal. So as I was reading "The Winter of Our Discontent," by John Stienbeck, the main character keeps mentioning the money he wants to obtain. Not for money's sake, but for different things, like his wife wanting a big enough water heater for 4 people to shower and still have warm water to do the dishes (I can relate). Anyway, Stienbeck, in true American form (I know I am the only one), shows how one can change their moral base just with the justification of earning money. Not that I want to go into the evils of capitalism, but I was just thinking as I was reading Julia's blog about crock-pot recipies, how I love the simple things in family life. I love to play the game of saving money, and making money stretch as far as possible. Doesn't life kindof loose its savor when we give up and just buy out of convenience instead out of need? The Winter of Our Discontent is a grim reminder of what really brings the joy in life, quite simply: love. It sounds terribly unoriginal, but it is good to have a reminder once in a while. Is there anything any of you would like to talk about that brings you joy? Just to name a few:
The way my sweet daughter looks me in the eye
Making up a crazy stroganoff last week because it was the end of the month and we were out of grocery money
Walking to the bus stop to pick up my husband on a beautiful day
Springtime

Sorry this message is so sentimental---and cheezy really. The moments of litte joy are the ones that get me through the rest I guess.

Comments

Blogger Julia said ... (9:36 PM) 

I am glad my crockpot story inspired you to such deep thoughts:)
I would have to lie would I say I enjoy being poor. I think daily life is easier without having to constantly worry about money. I also stayed home with my son for 5 years and am just now venturing out into the workforce and that not by choice but because my husband and I are separated and I need an income. I have enjoyed the time home withmy son very much even when this hasn't always been easy but I wouldn't have changed it for anything. I think it's incredibly rewarding to be with our kids and not let strangers raise them. They grow up so quickly and I loved seeing all the little things that change in their lives on a daily basis. That said, I guess, it's also one of the things that you can't buy for money that I treasure very much to have been lucky to be there for my son. I also love waking up and cuddling with him in the morning while he talks to me non stop:)
I have treasured the friendships with my girlfriends tremendously and without having family here it was that much more important to connect with them and share our loves, laughs and joys over the years while being home with my son.
I enjoy and always have finding great bargains at yard sales and even my son now loves going with me. This in turn has inspired me to dare to jump into my own business with a children's consignment store.
Money is definitely not everything but I believe it makes it easier when we don't have to worry about it. I think it also gives us a more realistic look at life when we have to "struggle" sometimes and also makes us stronger, especially us women.

 

Blogger Serena Cherry said ... (11:33 AM) 

I will definetly agree that money is better when you don't have to worry about it. I also have to agree that struggle's make us stronger. I guess it is just important to "enjoy the ride" even if that means working harder in order to have more money in order to not worry so much. Thanks for your comment!

 

post a comment