• Maeve Binchy, Quentins

  • Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

  • Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess
What I am reading

Having given up on Bleak House by Dickens as it was so terribly bleak and very hard to get in to, I am now reading his Great Expectations which is a much better read. Dickens was born in Portsmouth the same town I was born in. Having said that I am not one of his biggest fans! However, I am sure that is nothing to do with this literary genius, but more to do with me.

I am at the age where I enjoy something a little lighter! Hence, I have started reading Georgette Heyer novels again. She writes in the main, of the Regency period and there is always a hero and a heroine and a happy ending. Very well written though and you can almost feel that you are back in that period. I believe she wrote her first book for a younger brother who was recovering from an illness at the time, and continued on to write nearly 40 such novels. I am currently reading her Regency Buck.

I have also just got two biographical books from the library on C.S. Lewis and will report on those later.

Comments

Blogger Julia said ... (9:32 AM) 

I don't know how you get so many books in. I guess I am still sorting through my mount of magazines and haven't even gotten close to the Geishas:)

 

Blogger Serena Cherry said ... (2:47 PM) 

I have to say that I agree with you with the Charles Dickens getting hard to get into. I really enjoyed Great Expectations though. I wondered if you saw the movie and if you liked the way it cooresponded to the book?

 

Blogger Marion said ... (3:36 PM) 

I feel I have to confess that the only Dickens film or TV series I have watched is Christmas Carol! My favourites are the original b/w film, the musical version starring Albert Finney, but my very favourite is the Muppet Version with Michael Caine, but more importantly - Kermit! Great fun.

I shall pay a little more attention to Great Expectations next time it is on TV!

 

post a comment