• Maeve Binchy, Quentins

  • Arthur Golden, Memoirs of a Geisha

  • Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

  • Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Goddess
Customer Service

I'm a dispensing optician by trade. I spent many years learning and teaching others how to give good customer service. It was something I prided myself on. I liked that there were certain customers who only wanted to see me to advise them of their frame choice or adjust their glasses for them. Because of this I'm really irritated when I don't get good customer service. I often give the benefit of the doubt, but will complain when it's really bad. I feel though I'm often treated with disdain. Is it because I'm a woman? 'Just' a housewife? Or maybe just because they hate their job or something? Am I the only one who feels like this? Do I expect too much??

Comments

Blogger Julia said ... (3:45 PM) 

Becky, I worked in various customer service areas myself for about 20 years and have never seen anything like it like here in Baltimore. I find people in customer service related occupations here in general extremly rude and I don't think that has anything to do with gender or sex. I have been in Baltimore for 4 years and have never gotten used to this. There are several shops (like the Giant on York Rd) that I don't even frequent anymore. Why should I spend my money where people make you feel like they are doing you a favor to even be there.
On the other hand, I have worked as a Mystery shopper for a variety of different companies over the last year or so and like to think that at least in some the places I visited they now are more friendly (and don't call me "honey") anymore. Since this is not a permanent place for you, I would probably try to avoid the rudest places and ignore the rest. :)

 

post a comment